6 Ways Our HMRC Team Could Increase Your Income

There are a few ways our HMRC team can help increase your income. We’ve listed six of them below.

1. Help You Apply to the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme

If you traded in both the 2019/20 and 2020/21 tax years, you may be able to claim the fifth SEISS grant. You must have submitted a tax return by 2nd March 2021, and reasonably believe your profits between May and September will be reduced as a result of coronavirus.

You could get a grant of up to £7,500, depending on your usual trading profits. You should be contacted by HMRC from mid-July. They will tell you the date from which you can claim. If you need help applying for the grant, contact our HMRC team. Our contact details are at the bottom of this page.

2. Offer a Benefit Calculation

Are you sure you’re claiming everything you are entitled to? Certain you’re better off on legacy benefits rather than Universal Credit? Confused how changing your hours will affect your Working Tax Credits? When you book an appointment with our HMRC advisers, we will check to make sure you are claiming all the benefits you can, and help you apply for anything you’re not yet getting.

3. Check Your Tax Code

Your tax code is a signal to your employer to let them know how much tax you need to pay on your wages. If your tax code is wrong, you will be paying the wrong amount of tax. This is particularly common when you start a new job and haven’t provided your employer with a P45. We can check your tax code and help you get it changed if it’s wrong. You might also get a tax refund, which is next on our list.

4. Help You Apply for a Tax Refund

HMRC will normally let you know if you’ve paid too much tax and send out information on how to claim your refund. You should get this information by November, following the end of the tax year. However, you can also apply early and get a refund in your next pay.

Refunds are common when you’ve started or ended work part way through the year, worked two jobs, or were put on an emergency tax code when you started a new job. You can apply for a refund online and our digital support team can help you access these services.

5. Check Whether You Can Claim Marriage Allowance

Marriage Allowance lets you transfer part of your tax allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner and is available if your income is below the Personal Allowance of £12,750 and you partner is a basic rate payer. Claiming Marriage Allowance means your partner pays less tax.

Marriage Allowance can be backdated to the start of the 2017/18 tax year, and can still be paid if you were eligible in those years but your partner has since died.

6. Show You How to Open a Help to Save Account

Help to Save accounts are available to anyone claiming Working Tax Credits and those claiming Universal Credit who earn £617.73 or more from paid work. They’re a great way for families to save. You can pay up to £50 per month into your account and earn a 50% bonus on your maximum savings over a four-year period, with bonus payments made every 2 years.

If you pay £50 into your account each month for four months you will have £200 in your account. The government pays a 50% bonus on your maximum savings after two years. So, even if you withdraw the money and never pay anything into your account again, you’ll get a £100 bonus payment at the end of the second year.

How to Contact Us

The easiest way to book an appointment with our HMRC team is to email hmrc@pendle.cabnet.org.uk. You can also call 07883 572 175.

Disclaimer: This information was correct at time of publishing on 27 July 2021 and is provided as a guide only. It is not a recommendation to take a specific action and we suggest you speak to an adviser if you have any doubt about how the law applies to you.




We are an independent charity providing free, impartial and confidential advice to people in Burnley and Pendle.

Love podcasts or audiobooks? Learn on the go with our new app.

Recommended from Medium

What You Don’t Know About Your Credit Will Hurt You

Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving…

Should you Lease or Finance your Car?

WIF AX Diversity Showcase: Kanisha Dennis CMO of Fuego Fino, Inc.

Who is the better lender: Quicken Loans or Ditech?

5 Easy Tips for Financial Self-Care

How a Young Professional Overcame $20,000 in Debt to Reclaim Her Future and Find Inner Peace

Should You Really Hire a CPA?

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Burnley and Pendle Citizens Advice

Burnley and Pendle Citizens Advice

We are an independent charity providing free, impartial and confidential advice to people in Burnley and Pendle.

More from Medium

What is an NFT? How to make one?

The importance of domestic interest rates forecast for 2022

Maintain Your Residential Swimming Pool with These Simple Steps

How Much Information Can Be Sent Reliably from Halifax to Dartmouth Under the Water?